Looking for the perfect gift for everyone on your list? I have just the thing.
Use Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden as your inspiration and “cornerstone” gift. Of course the book (and by extension, you!) will be adored and appreciated all on its own, but you could take it a step further and personalize it with one or more of the following tokens to really make hearts swell.
Here’s the formula: Sugar Snaps and Strawberries + personal token = holiday bliss.
Sugar Snaps and Strawberries was written with the novice gardener in mind. It’s perfect for those who are interested in trying their hand at growing their own herbs, fruits, or vegetables (and, frankly, these days, who isn’t?) or anyone who’d like some winter eye candy. But it’s not just for gardeners. It’s for food lovers, entertainers, the health- and eco-conscious…guys, gals, young and old. Pair it with…
For new or aspiring gardeners
- A high-quality hand tool like the Cobrahead weeder and cultivator: a great, multi-purpose hand tool that I use for nearly all my garden tasks (digging, planting, weeding) and is built to last.
- A colourful pair of gardening gloves. Some people go for leather, but I prefer flexible nitrile for the West Coast’s wet soil. Atlas is my preferred brand—cheap and cheerful!
- Plant labels. Essential for marking rows and containers.
I love the idea of packaging these items together with a few packets of vegetable seeds in a cute little gardening trug or harvest basket.
For the eco-conscious
- A compost keeper to hold kitchen scraps – odorlessly – until it’s time for the trip to the compost bin.
- Reusable hemp produce bags to store garden- or farmer’s market-fresh produce.
- A bat house. For our mosquito-eating friends.
For the dude
- The AeroGarden. For a grown-up version of the grow-op.
- Digital plant care sensor. Gimicky gadgety fun.
- Roost Hemingway Muddlers and a packet of mint seeds. He’ll almost be able to taste the mojitos.
For the design-savvy
- Karim Rashid’s Grobal pot. Self watering!
- Handcrafted air plant pods. Simply beautiful.
- Windowsill herb holder. Keep herbs within reach with this beautiful holder/centerpiece.
For the hostess
- Soji LED solar lanterns. For her next summer patio party.
- Air plant terrarium. Delicate and beautiful.
- Roost Farmer’s Market baskets. For serving or display.
For the foodie
- Oyster mushroom kit. For easy indoor mushrooms in a cute package.
- Heirloom tomato seeds. For the best tomato bocconcini salads.
- An herb keeper. For instant-access herbs.
For the health-conscious
- A sprouting kit. For effortless and near-instant year-round fresh greens.
- Seeds for an herbal tea garden. For a perennial supply of tea herbs.
- A salad spinner. For collecting and washing garden-fresh salad greens.
nesting journal says
what great ideas. i love the mushroom kit packaging. and the roost berry containers are so smart. just finished the paris wife, so the hemmingway muddlers could also be fun. nice line up
Annie Haven | Authentic Haven Brand says
Love the selection of wonderfulk gift ideas
Deko Eden says
Fantastic photos, great ideas and infos and the article is very well-written.
Hi – I recently received the book for my birthday and I love it! Thank you! I will be growing even more veggies in my little plot this year (hello succession planting!) Merry Christmas
Modern Gardens says
Keep writing, because you’re doing an awesome job here. I’m looking forward to buy your book.